I hope you have had a lovely Easter break and Anzac Day holiday with your family and friends.
If you haven’t already, now is the time to organise your Winter sailing program. In addition to our usual Club racing, the Laura Gloria and the Class Monkeys, we are also holding our Winter Sprints with 4 race days on Sundays 26 May to 21 July, the format being two short (40min) windward / leeward courses starting at 1100 hrs followed by a social BBQ. We already have some great entrants lined up so enter now.
Safety Declarations Due 1 July 2019
This is also the ideal time to organise your maintenance and repairs in preparation for the summer season so contact the office to book your yard services. A reminder our safety declarations now expire on 30 June and need to be submitted by 1 July. I am also pleased to announce that Andrew King (AKA Korn) is our new Club Equipment Auditor to assist with our safety audits – thanks for volunteering Andrew!
Congratulations to Michael Rehfisch on Bunyip Dreaming for winning the single-handed Black Bottle Trophy on 7 April, with Patrick Clarke on Tandeka 2nd and David (DJ) Johnson on Shitake 3rd. We also saw the 2019 Bluebird (intergalactic) Victorian Championship conclude on 31st March with Tandeka 1st, Thirsty Work 2nd and Shitake 3rd. Congratulations Pat.
- The Laura Gloria has kicked off and 2 weeks into the series Peter Abrahams and Empara is in 1st place.
- The Don Thompson Passage Race to Pt Lonsdale (HBYC) will be held on Saturday 27th April
- Brass Monkeys (HBYC) will commence on Saturday 4th May.
- Our next big event is the Phoenix Trophy Passage Race to Queenscliff – always a warm welcome from QCYC and friendly competition for the most glamorous table and gourmet BBQ.
- The Australian Women’s Keelboat Regatta is held on the June long weekend hosted by RMYS so please encourage our talented female sailors to enter.
- The (free) WASZP Demo will be on 11th May. Register at the office – 2 spots left
- Our OTB Working Bee is on 5th May, so if you can help out please contact the office to put your name down.
- And finally, our 2020 Cadet Worlds Committee is raising funds to ensure we host the best ever event downunder and showcase our fantastic Club. Please buy a 2020 Cadet Worlds Raffle book at the office to support the 2020 Cadet Worlds. Great prizes from our sponsors Metung Holidays, St Kilda Cycles, BBQ Plus and Sun Theatre.
Jane Richards, Rear Commodore Sailing